In 2016, Jet Airways changed the strategy for people as per fare choices. They created 5 Fares – Light, Deal, Saver, Classic and Flex.
It became a pseudo revenue system where you would earn miles as per your spending vs distance in air seat on the aircraft. Due to a lot of noise regarding airlines losing a lot of money in last one year and requirement of the cash infusion.
Jet Airways is trying to turn around by:-
- Parking aircraft at cheaper airports such as Indore, Dehradun, Guwahati etc at night, rather than at the metro cities.
- Serving unique routes on various days of the week instead of losing revenue on the days that aircraft were not filling up. Basically, reducing frequencies between Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata and New Delhi and coming out with routes such as Indore-Allahabad, Indore- Vadodara, Mumbai-Amritsar etc.
Latest Change – Deal and LIght Fares
From Sep 25, 2018, guests traveling in Economy and booking ‘Light’/’Deal’ fares for travel from Sep 28, 2018, on flights within India will not only be able to avail competitive low fares but have the opportunity to buy meals from a specially curated on-board menu. You can choose from vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals, including hot meal options on select flights and pay using debit / credit cards. Complimentary beverage service including tea and coffee to all guests in Economy (including ‘Light’/’Deal’ fares), will continue on eligible flights.
On flights within India, all features and benefits, including complimentary meals will continue for Economy fare options viz. ‘Saver’, ‘Classic’ and ‘Flex’ and for all fare options in Première. On international flights, all features and benefits under First Class, Première and Economy remain unchanged.
JetPrivilege members traveling across all Fare Choices, will continue to enjoy the ability to earn JPMiles on all their flight activities as well as redeem their JPMiles for award flights across our extensive domestic and extended international network, along with our partners covering over 1000 destinations worldwide.
Basically, If you buy Light or Deal Fare, even if you are Platinum
1. The fare is non-refundable
2. Cancellation fees are high enough that customers shouldn’t expect Taxes to be refunded.
3. The meals won’t be served
4. Even Platinum can’t carry more than 15 Kgs
5. You don’t get lounge access in Domestic flights but you do get it on an International flight.
6. Platinum Members are allowed to upgrade on Deal flights using vouchers but not on Light flights.