Due to the extreme circumstances globally due CoronaVirus has major impact on tourism business. There are many hotels shut and multiple governments have issued travel ban or even curfew in their countries.
Airlines and Hotels are in the front bearing the losses. It would take a while before market even gathers itself up and starts moving at the same rate as it was before CoronaVirus became the reality.
Hilton was first one to provide Free Cancellation from 1 March to 30 April. Looks like they have extended the date to 30 June 2020 now.
While IHG decided to reduce the requirement for qualification this year, Hilton just decided to cancel this year and move to the next year.
Hilton Honors has been generous and at the forefront for bringing posiitve changes for their customer.
Hilton Honors will be extending the status of everyone who had a status for the 2019 year, which usually should have downgraded as of March 31, 2020. Those members will now have their current status, whether Gold, Diamond or Silver till March 31, 2021.
Hilton Honors will extend your 2020 status
If you had qualified for a specific tier basis your 2019 activity (tier valid during 2020 and through March 2021), Hilton Honors would be extending your status through March 31, 2022. So, you get an extra year for those who were loyal last year.
Hilton Honors Pauses Points expiration through rest of 2020
If you have no activity in the programme for 12 months, usually all your Hilton points expire. However, Hilton Honors is pausing the expiration of points through December 31, 2020, for the moment. This move will help customers who are not very active with Hilton Honors.
Hilton Honors weekend night rewards
Although not relevant for members around the world except in the USA, those earning weekend night rewards through a Hilton Honors credit card will be able to receive an extension of anywhere between 12-18 months. Certificates due to expire between March 11 and August 30, 2020, will now expire on August 31, 2021.
Flexible cancellation and rebooking policies
Apart from the announcements that came in overnight, Hilton is also offering generous cancellation and rebooking policies at the moment. Here is the policy updated as of March 25, 2020:
- Existing Reservations. All reservations—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are scheduled for arrival on or before June 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
- New Reservations. Any reservations you make—even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”)—that are booked between today and June 30, 2020, for any future arrival date can be changed or cancelled at no charge, up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival day.
Hilton Extends the Points Unlimited Promo 2020
Hilton Honors’ first major promotion of 2020 launched in early January, and was supposed to expire on May 3, but has now been extended for stays through May 31, 2020.
Hilton Honors’ promotion is called “Points Unlimited,” and this is the return of a promotion we saw from them back in 2019. This is valid for stays between January 6 and May 31, 2020. With this promotion you earn:
- 2,000 bonus points for every stay
- 10,000 bonus points after every ten nights
There are a few further things to be aware of:
- Registration is required prior to the first eligible stay, though previous booked nights qualify, as long as you stay during the promotion period
- There’s no limit to how many points you can earn
- There’s no minimum stay requirement
- All properties qualify