I suggest everyone take advantage of this challenge before 2018 when Starwood/Marriott merger to take place. Chances are it will be a lot tougher to reach Platinum next year onwards.
Every year SPG runs a challenge where you have to stay 9 nights in 3 months to acquire Gold Status.
There are faster ways to do that:-
1. Get a credit card that offers SPG Gold as a sign-up benefit.
2. You can achieve Gold by 1-night stay using Mastercard.
3. If you are already Gold with Marriott or Ritz-Carlton, you can link your account.
If you don’t have a way to do any of this then I recommend you to sign up for SPG Gold challenge too.
To achieve Platinum, you require staying 18 nights within three months.
Make sure that you sign up for both Gold and Platinum challenges at the same time to maximize the number of points that you earn and potential upgrades that you receive for reaching Gold status first.
You can choose the 90-day window as you wish and it can include the previous month as well.
As long as you complete the challenge on or after March 1st, the status is valid for the remainder of the year and the next one.
For example, if you complete the challenge successfully after March 1, 2017, your status will be valid until February 28, 2019.
Here’s how to request the challenge:
- You need to email: [email protected]and request the “Gold and Platinum Challenge”. Remember that SPG doesn’t do status matches. Alternatively, you can call the SPG call center closest to you.
- Make sure that the 90-day window is appropriate for you. It can include the previous month as well.
- Only paid nights count towards the 18 nights required. Award or Cash + Points nights are ineligible.
Remember, if you stay with your family/friends at the hotel and you take more than 1 room. it counts!
YES, you can book up to 3 rooms per night in your name. 3 rooms would count as 3 elite nights towards your status. Awesome!
Any more questions, Don’t afraid to put them into comments.
TIP: Limited luxury hotels can get you there at much lower cost – Look no further than Design Hotels (considered as a full luxury but in India, they are in lower categories), Aloft, Four points by Sheraton and Elements (Not there in India). There are a lot of SPG category 1 hotels too.
As a Platinum member, you’ll enjoy all the benefits of Gold status, plus even more rewards:
- Earn three Starpoints® for every U.S. dollar spent on eligible stays — a 50% bonus over Preferred.
- Your choice of welcome gift upon arrival — choose from bonus Starpoints, continental breakfast or local amenity.
- An upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite.
- Complimentary in-room, premium Internet access.
- Complimentary health-club, Club-level and Executive-level access.
- Guaranteed room availability when your room is booked by 3 p.m., 72+ hours prior to arrival.
- Register to earn Starpoints during your stays and every day with Uber®.
- Earn one Starpoint per dollar spent with Delta Crossover Rewards™ on eligible Delta flights. Plus, enjoy elite benefits when traveling with Delta, such as Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding, Unlimited Complimentary Upgrades, and first checked bag free.
- Your World Rewards ™ with SPG and Emirates Skywards®: Register to earn one Starpoint per dollar on eligible Emirates® flights. Plus, enjoy elite in-airport benefits, including priority check-in, priority boarding and complimentary e-gate access (visit emirates.com for details).
- Now earn 1 bonus Starpoint for every 4 ‘Eastern Miles Points’ on eligible China Eastern flights with the Eastern Explorer Rewards™ program from SPG and China Eastern Airlines. You’ll also enjoy elite in-airport benefits, including priority check-in, boarding and luggage handling as well as an excess-luggage allowance and access to the China Eastern business-class lounge. Register now.
- Earn one Starpoint for every US$2 in eligible revenue when you book a group for any occasion, business or pleasure. From weddings to meetings to family reunions