Everyone asks me for a budget of a trip but most people don’t take into account that even planning of most basic trip can be different for various people.
I don’t drink tea or coffee as a necessity while I know so many for whom it is the most obvious thing to be added. I don’t do shopping when I am traveling. I know so many who travel for shopping. Everyone minimum hotel/hostel budget is different. Some are comfortable with bed and breakfast while other need at least decent washroom and other amenities.
Some can’t sustain the room without a window while other are fine with it. There are so many differentiations in factors that change everything. Now, I have started providing bigger ballpark with much more range.
There are so many variables that can change the cost of the trip completely. You take a stopover route, chances are you are going to get a better deal. If you position to fly out from not so heavy tax airport, the route will be cheaper.
However, I do understand the fix variables and tertiary variables that affect your trip.
What are the spending costs on your trip?
1. Visa Cost – Fixed (Can vary on single entry or multiple entries)
2. Flights – Highly Variable by minutiae, airlines, stop-over, time of purchase etc.
3. Insurance – Dependent on the region you travel. Your insurance to include North Korea would be very different than one traveling to Japan.
4. Hotel/Hostel bookings – Highly Variable – I have stayed in the same hotel costing Rs 3000 and on peak days it costing Rs 15000. This is common with hotels worldwide. This is highly seasonal too. Especially in Dubai where peak rates are nothing on their off season summer rates. Plus choice and category of the hotel are going to vary a lot.
5. Forex – Variable – Where you buy your currency, the date you buy currency and on what market do you buy currency is highly variable.
On The Trip –
1. Time of arrival – Variable – If you are landing around midnight or early morning – you would have to shell out extra money to reach your hotel/hostel.
2. The cost of Attractions – FIXED – Entries into attraction is usually the same. However, the amount of attraction one wants to view might differ. I might not visit all attractions present in the city whereas other people don’t want to miss out on any.
3. Transporation – Variable – Not everyone uses public transport and not every hour that is available. Some people to rent a car for a day whereas others prefer to taxi it up.
4. Food&Beverages – Variable – Rarely seen 2 people ordering exactly the same thing where ever you go. Some people love to try local cuisine while other stick to the same old. There is also the type of food, type of dining, alcohol and the restaurant that would change up the costs. Some people don’t mind staying in outskirts while other prefer to stay in CBD.
So, I understand people want to be prepared for the amount of expenses that would be incurred but again, everything is subject to your personal traits. Yes, I can give you larger ballpark figure that it would cost you roughly this much for certain trip but answer isn’t always that obvious. Some cities all ballparks may fail such as New York, San Franscisco, Hong Kong, Tokyo etc.